Saturday, January 15, 2011

Zen and Xander Undone

Zen and Xander Undone by Amy Kathleen Ryan
Houghton Mifflin, 2010
212 pages
9780547062488

After the death of their mother and with their father's will to live gone, Zen and Xander try with all of their might to cope on their own. Zen, ever the "good girl", has thrown herself into karate. Xander has found more extreme and dangerous ways, including drugs and sex. The only thing the girls have in common any more is the gorgeous boy across the street who has been their friend since childhood. When the girls see a letter from their mother that wasn't meant for their eyes, they learn that she might not have been what they remembered. This, along with the mystery of who is behind the letters they get from their mom, becomes Xander's new project. It should give the girls common ground, but instead it might tear them apart.

Why I picked it up: I came across it one day while shelving the new YA books. I don't remember what initially drew me to it, but I added it to my List of Things I Should Read. When I picked it up again, I realized how much I was in the mood for a good bonding book.

Judging by the cover...: Not the best job, but not the worst either. Very cliché, two girls who look drastically different but are obviously sisters. It gets a solid eh. I would only be a tiny bit hesitant to read it in public. I like the paperback cover much more; it's more original and grasps the theme of the book much better than the two models on the hardcover could.

Favorite Elements:
  • Martial Arts - How awesome would it be if I had a black belt? If you had a black belt? If the world was just one big karate-chopping movie? Well, maybe not that awesome, but I wouldn't mind using a single kickass kick to take out douchebag boys who think pushing around women is cool.
  • Sisters - Right now my sister is rolling her eyes at my lameness (I love you, Alien!), but sibling relationships in books fascinate me. Even though each family is different, brothers and sisters always seem to be able to band together and muddle through their crazy family together.
  • Mom's Letters - If there was one thing that stood out, it was that their mom took the time to write letters and arrange their delivery (along with other things) while she was sick. Sniff!
  • A Good Cry - It's been a long time since a book made me cry. This one just didn't get one tear, it got bucketloads.
Overall (out of 5): 4.25
Though I was able to predict the ending by the third chapter, it didn't take away from the book at all. I felt the love through their strained relationship. These were two sisters who really did care what happened to each other. It says quite a bit about grief, too, that everyone suffers through it their own way at their own pace. I went almost halfway through the book, though, before I realized that Xander was the older sister. I guess it goes to show how many books I've read lately where the narrator is predominately the older sibling. The little hints of romance are perfect, too.

Recommendation: A book for those who are willing to take a roller coaster ride with the girls, ready to stand by them even when you might not like them or the things they do. Just know that it is well worth the admission price.

No comments:

Post a Comment