Monday, January 3, 2011

13 Little Blue Envelopes

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
HarperCollins, 2005
320 pages
9780060541415

Ginny's aunt's last wish is for her to take a whirlwind trip around Europe. The catch: she can't contact anyone from home by phone or e-mail (snail mail is encouraged), she can only travel with a backpack, and she must follow the instructions left to her in the 13 blue envelopes, opening them one by one as directed. As she makes her way through London, Edinburgh, Paris, and beyond, she learns a little more about her aunt and herself, and manages to find a little romance, too. A great story about a girl learning to find her own way through life.

Why I picked it up: I am ashamed to admit that this was the first Maureen Johnson book, and I might not have picked it up had not John Green mentioned her in this vlog post.

Judging by the cover...: When I took the book off the shelf, I almost cringed. If I had known nothing about the awesomeness that is this book, I might have passed it by.

Favorite Elements:
  • World Travel - Ginny's adventure made me want to hop a plane as soon as I finished it. A free trip around Europe with nothing but what's on my back? Yes, please! Johnson's remarkably realistic descriptions give the story an incredible depth.
  • Boy with an Accent - Accents always do me in, especially a British one. Add to that Keith's artistic nature, and I'm hooked.
  • Awesome Aunt - Aunt Peg might have been flaky, but she knew what she was doing.
Overall (out of 5): 4
What a fun book! This book felt to me like a teen version of 39 Clues. A race around Europe and a mystery to solve. It was a great adventure, and I totally wish that Ginny was real so that we could be best friends, or at least have lunch once in a while. My only complaint about the book was Keith's role; their "something" felt rushed, and I don't think he was given his fair share of the plot.

Recommendation: Run out and get this book ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment