Sunday, July 10, 2011

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier, translated from German by Anthea Bell
Henry Holt and Company, May 2011
324 pages
Book Source: Public Library

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era! Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon, the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

-- Summary from Goodreads.com

Judging by the cover...: As soon as I saw the cover, I knew I must get my hands on it. I wanted it so badly, that I completely forgot to even look at what it was about. Though when I look at it, I avoid looking at the girl on the cover, since she creeps me out like there's no tomorrow.
Favorite Elements:
  • Comeuppance Received - Charlotte, I'm so glad that you turned out to be such a snob and so easy to hate. That awful ego of yours needed to be taken down a peg or three.
  • History Plus a Bit of Steam Punk - The Chronograph is a crazy awesome device that can take you back to any time period within the last 500 years. So who's ready to do some traveling?
  • The Cover - The picture above can hardly do it justice; it's shiny, too!
  • England - Any book set in the UK is high on my list of To Reads, and Gwen's descriptions of her house, school, and family are a glimpse into what life is like for the (semi) normal British teenager. 
  • BFF - Leslie is the coolest friend that anyone could have, considering she believes Gwen's story of her time traveling family. It doesn't hurt that she's on track to being a fantastic librarian with those researching skills.
Overall: A-
Though I violated the cardinal rule of Never Judge a Book by the Cover, I do not at all regret it. Ruby Red was such a pleasant surprise! Often teenagers portrayed in books seem older than they really are, but Gwen's actions were closer what an actual 16 year-old would do. It was refreshing to read a story that involved a relaxed main character who was best friends with a total control freak, not the other way around.

And Gideon. Oh Gideon. Do you remember that stuck up boy in high school who wouldn't even look at you let alone speak to you, but you had the biggest crush on him anyway? Or maybe that was just me... But that high school crush he is, which makes him so easy love and hate at the same time.

Gier's excels at writing the time travel plot. She keeps the story moving forward, though Gwen is constantly moving backwards and forwards through history. I will be eagerly awaiting Sapphire Blue, the next book, due out in the U.S. next year, thought it's already out in Gier's native Germany. This wait makes me wish my German was much better.

Recommendation: Absolutely yes. GO NOW and read. Middle Grade readers will love the PG romance and teens of all ages will be entranced by the task set before Gideon and Gwen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment